As I mentioned in my last post, I have been struggling with filling this void in my life. It’s like I feel like I should be doing so
mething amazing but just can’t quite put my finger on what “it” is. No, I don’t think that my purpose in life is to make world peace, win the Noble Peace Prize or find a cure for stupidity…however I do feel that I should be doing something more than what I’m doing now.
So a few weeks ago, while watching the morning news as I was getting ready f
or work, they did a story on former Olympian Jeff Galloway who had recently been named as the Official runDisney Training Consultant. During the interview, Jeff talked about the Disney Marathon that was coming up and all of the fun activities they had planned at the park. I had been entertaining the idea of running again; had even bought the book by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea Run Like A Mother and well hearing about the Disney event peaked my interest. When I got into the office that morning, I quickly went to the runDisney website and lo and behold, I came across the Disney Princess Half Marathon and that was it…my mind was made up…I am going to run in this race.
Now I know this is a VERY ambition goal…13.1 miles…I can’t even run 3 mile
s straight without clutching my chest while grasping for breath. How in the h- e double hockey sticks am I going to make it through 13.1 miles?????
But after looking at the features of the race life:
- Women’s focused half marathon (Can you say GIRL POWER)
- A course through Magic Kingdom® Park including Cinderella Castle and Epcot® (Now tell me how cool would it be to run through Cinderella’s Castle?)
- Disney Princess themed Entertainment on-course and maybe a visit from Prince Charming and friends (Did someone say Prince Charming? Sign me up!!!)
In addition to that as a participant I will also get:
- Commemorative Champion® Ladies Tech Shirt (Who doesn’t like a free t-shirt?)
- Goody Bag (Be still my beating heart…a goodie bag…SHUT UP!!!)
- Personalized Bib (Isn’t that some fancy running term for a name tag? How cool and how official! After this I guess I could officially call myself a runner.)
- On Course Refreshments, On Course Disney Entertainment and Post-Race Refreshments (They will feed and entertain me – count me in!!)
- Half Marathon Finishers receive a very special Princess medal (Maybe a cool tiara or Mickey Ears – I can see myself wearing it now…)
With all of that how could I pass this up????? Plus it will give me the opportunity to get some much-needed “me” time away from the job and family. JACKPOT!!!
I know it is a very ambitious goal…but I think that is one of the things that I’m missing…a goal. This definitely takes me out of my comfort zone but who couldn’t use a good jolt to the system every now and again. So starting tomorrow, I’m lacing up the trusty Nike Air Max shoes and hitting the pavement.